Tuesday, 8 November 2016

Ex- Nigeria keeper predicts easy win for Eagles

Eagle's Jersey 
Former Nigeria goalkeeper Andrew Aikhuomogbe has  predicted an easy win for Nigeria over Algeria in their Russia 2018 World Cup Group B qualifier in Uyo on Saturday.

The Egypt-based FIFA players’ agents  is also backing Chippa United keeper Daniel Akpeyi  to prove himself  a worthy deputy for injured Wolverhampton Wanderers shot-stopper Carl Ikeme in the encounter.  The Super Eagles, who lead the group on three points following their 2-1 victory Zambia in their first Russia 2018 qualifier in Ndola on October 9,  will remain top of the table with a win at home.


Aikhuomogbe  says although the Desert Foxes (35th) are far above  the Eagles  (60th) in  the latest  FIFA  rankings, the Northern Africans pose no threat to Nigeria’s bid to qualify for the world football’s showpiece event for the sixth time.



The  Cairo ’91 All Africa Games bronze medallist, who was dropped on the eve of the Eagles’ departure for Senegal for the 1992 Africa Cup of Nations, maintains  Algeria manager Georges Leeekens’ attacking riches will be rendered ineffective by the Nigerian defence.

“Yes, they have (Leicester City’s attacking duo)  Riyad Mahrez and  Islam Slimani, who are good forwards, the Eagles will beat them,” the former BCC Lions and Shooting Stars custodian told our correspondent on the telephone from  Egypt on Monday.

“I follow Northern African football and I know that Algeria are a strong side, but they will  be no match for  the Eagles, because we have better players.

“In fact, Nigeria have the best players in Africa; a lack of planning is our  greatest problem.”

He added, “I’m very sure of what I’m saying,  the Eagles will beat Algeria easily.   Algeria have a lot of weaknesses, which the Eagles can exploit.”

However, Aikhuomogbe warned the Eagles  against overconfidence in the encounter, saying the Desert Foxes, who were held to a 1-1 at home by Cameroon in the other group’s fixture on October 9, would be desperate for an away win.

He said, “The Eagles  played good football against Zambia. I  believe  they will  replicate the impressive form they showed during the game against Zambia in Uyo.”

The retired keeper added, “We should be grateful to God for giving us good keepers. It’s sad Ikeme will not play the match. But I believe Akpeyi  is good enough  to start the game for us. He’s a good keeper and I don’t have any fear about him.”

0 comments:

What do you think about this article?